Retest after a repair
In some cases your vehicle can have a partial retest for free or a reduced MOT fee.
Leaving your vehicle for repair
You only need a partial retest if you leave the vehicle at the test centre for repair and it’s retested within 10 working days. There’s no fee for this.
Taking your vehicle away for repairs
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.
If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:
- have the failed defects fixed
- a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.
Taking it back for a retest the next working day
You will not have to pay again if you take it back to the same test centre before the end of the next working day for a partial retest on one or more of these items:
- access panels
- brake pedal antislip
- break glass hammer (class 5 vehicles only)
- doors (including hinges, catches and pillars)
- door open warning device (class 5 vehicles only)
- electrical wiring
- emergency exits and signs (class 5 vehicles only)
- entrance door remote control (class 5 vehicles only)
- entrance/exit steps (class 5 vehicles only)
- fuel filler cap
- headlamp cleaning or levelling devices (that does not need a headlamp aim check)
- lamps (excluding headlamp aim)
- loading door
- main beam ‘tell-tale’
- rear reflectors
- registration plates
- seatbelts (but not anchorages), seatbelt load limiter and seatbelt pre-tensioner
- sharp edges or projections
- stairs (class 5 vehicles only)
- steering wheel
- trailer electrical sockets
- towbars (excluding body around anchorage points)
- tyre pressure monitoring system
- vehicle identification number (VIN)
- windscreen glass, wipers and washers
- wheels and tyres (excluding motorcycles and motorcycles with sidecar)
Taking it back for a retest within 10 working days
You’ll only need a partial retest if you take the vehicle from the test centre for repairs and take it back within 10 working days. You can be charged a partial retest fee for this.